KToggleAction in menus

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Mon May 7 07:57:11 BST 2007

On Sunday 06 May 2007 22:39:38 David Faure wrote:
> I do agree that something needs to be fixed, the current kde4 behavior
> is buggy since the text changes -and- a checkbox appears, it should of
> course be one or the other. However I don't think that reintroducing
> all the problems (listed above) that setCheckedState fixed, is a good
> idea. It's nice that Qt4 lets us have checkbox + icon, but it doesn't
> change the problem that most menuitems describe an action and
> toggleactions with a checkbox describe a state instead of an action,
> which is pretty consistent and unintuitive.

Agreed.

We introduced the changing of the text in the kde3 time because there was
no checkbox available.  And we all (at least the usability people) agreed
that it was the next best thing.

I see that Alex already changed the code to only have the checkbox, which
I think is the correct thing.

The TODO item left, then, is to rewrite the texts uses from an action
("Work Offline") to a concept ("Online Mode").  I'm sure the usability
people can come up with a better description, but its still a lot of
work.
Work that IMO should be done as it will improve the usability quite a
bit :-)

--
Thomas Zander