KToggleAction in menus

Alex Merry huntedhacker at tiscali.co.uk
Sun May 6 22:01:49 BST 2007

On Sunday 06 May 2007, David Faure wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 May 2007, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > Most people don't know if the text shows the current state or the
> > state we get after clicking on it.
>
> Well when the text is phrased like an action ("Hide Menubar") it's
> pretty clear, no?

> I do agree that something needs to be fixed, the current kde4
> behavior is buggy since the text changes -and- a checkbox appears, it
> should of course be one or the other. However I don't think that
> reintroducing all the problems (listed above) that setCheckedState
> fixed, is a good idea. It's nice that Qt4 lets us have checkbox +
> icon, but it doesn't change the problem that most menuitems describe
> an action and toggleactions with a checkbox describe a state instead
> of an action, which is pretty consistent and unintuitive.

I only pick up this once I've committed, of course.

I can revert and change KToggleAction to have the old behaviour,
although I can't see an easy way of doing that with the Qt API, apart
from KToggleAction not being a checkable QAction when an alternative
KGuiItem is provided.  Of course, that would ruin the setChecked()
slot.

Personally, I find the checkbox quite intuitive.  If I see
(x) Show statusbar
that suggests the statusbar is shown, and if I see
(x) Set bookmark
(as in KWrite/Kate), that suggests a bookmark is set.

I think of it as "Show statusbar" vs. "Don't show statusbar".  I don't
know whether that would naturally follow in other languages (the only
other languages I know are French and German, and I can't claim to
grasp many of their subtleties).

Alex

--
KDE: http://www.kde.org