KNewStuff2 merge

Josef Spillner spillner at kde.org
Tue Mar 27 14:27:51 BST 2007

Am Montag, 26. März 2007 20:03 schrieb Mike Dean:
> It would be really nice if KNewStuff did prefetching, to avoid the annoying
> lag, and caching of already retrieved information.  Either getting rid of
> displaying the progress dialog, or integrating it into the KNewStuff UI
> would be a very welcome improvement as well.  Making these small changes,
> IMHO, would give KNewStuff a much more polished look and feel.  If you've
> already done this, sorry, and kudos!

It does that already, indeed (*).
We don't remove the cache yet and so your HDD will fill up over time. Such
changes are > April 2.

Even in KDE 3.5 there shouldn't be progress dialogs anymore, I've modified all
KIO calls AFAICR.

Josef

(*) ok, let me become a bit more technical since we're already at it. It
currently saves each entry into a file on its own. Loading them all in a row
and deserialising the information takes long enough to let the dialog appear
blocking for half a second or so. Since space isn't so much an issue, there
could be a more efficient mapping (if mmap is enabled), but we can also do
the loading in parallel (use threading). Either of the two will happen
eventually, patches are welcome.