Access keys

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Thu Mar 29 22:23:53 BST 2007

David Faure wrote:
>On Thursday 29 March 2007, Thiago Macieira wrote:
>> I know. I have to modify the XKB layout file every time I upgrade X so
>> that en_US also has the ISO-9993-1 secondary layout. (I also have to
>> modify the Compose file so that I get the "ç" I badly need)
>
><offtopic> ç? No modification needed, I just do Compose , + c with the
> default en_US layout.</offtopic>

<offtopic>
I need <dead_acute> <c> to produce "ç", not "ć".

Some distributions come with two Compose files for UTF-8 locales: the
en_US.UTF-8 and the pt_BR.UTF-8 one. The latter is exactly like the
former, with that change. The former is used for all locales, except
pt_BR.UTF-8.

Somehow, that seems to get constantly broken on upgrade.
</offtopic>

>> It's a function of your chosen keyboard layout, not of your keyboard.
>
>Of course. But we're talking about the default shortcuts in kde, and I'm
> just saying that most KDE users are not going to do the above steps, so
> you can't rely on AltGr being present for standard shortcuts.

Oh, no, I never meant that. AltGr cannot be used as a modifier for further
shortcuts. We can't do that because AltGr by itself might be necessary to
compose some of the shortcuts we do define.

For instance, Alt+@ in a Norwegian keyboard would be produced with
Alt+AltGr+2.

Maybe we should start using "Ctrl+€", "Ctrl+Shift+ø" as shortcuts :-)

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358