KDE4 default shortcut theme

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Thu Mar 29 18:14:04 BST 2007

On Thursday 29 March 2007 18:39, Ellen Reitmayr wrote:
> > and as a
> > general rule buttons that are on the toolbar have their own shortcuts.
>
> i've actually never heard of that rule before this thread and i don't think
> that's feasible. what about extra toolbars like table handling in kword?

I think this requires a little deeper context. As you are likely aware, Qt4
stopped having the ability to tear off toolbars.  Their functionality has
been limited quite a bit, actually.
The general consensus (AFAIK) for KDE4 is that we are moving (quite strongly)
towards less toolbars and less buttons on them. Certainly by default.

So; toolbars hold the most used actions.  This has always been the idea, but
the waters have been muddied quite a bit over the years.  We should move back
to this, though. Most used actions means the applications will very likely
have a shortcut added to them.
So, it is indeed not a rule. Its just an effect you see when following common
design.

Your example for KWord is a good one; KWord in KOffice2 doesn't have nearly as
much actions on the toolbar as the older KWord did. Most of the toolbuttons
have been moved to one or more dockers.  And this is something all KOffice
apps are doing.

This is why I was thinking that having good navigation between document and
dockers is very important.  As that is where most of the buttons are.

Hope that helps.
--
Thomas Zander