KDE4 default shortcut theme

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Thu Mar 29 18:02:36 BST 2007

On Thursday 29 March 2007 18:39, Ellen Reitmayr wrote:
> > Toolbars and their buttons per definition do not get focus. So what you
> > ask is not possible anyway.
>
> well, one of the reasons to start this thread was to make it possible.

The reason they do not get focus because it gets dirty really quickly
otherwise.
Imagine clicking on the 'Bold' button and then noticing you have to click in
your text again because clicking on the bold button shifted the focus there.
So all keyboard input goes there.  We choose long ago to never make buttons
on a toolbar take focus for that reason. And I've tried to fix it in several
different manners, but really, that is the best way.

> > As another poster in this thread mentioned; all items in toolbars are
> > already available in the menu (including hiding/moving them)
>
> they are available in the menu, but much harder to reach.

The cost of allowing toolbuttons to take focus is higher then the benefit
gained to save one or two keystrokes.
And, honestly, you are asking for another keystroke to learn instead of using
the already known keyboard navigation of the menu. I'm not sure that the
action in menu is indeed harder to reach. For a toolbar you have to apply a
new keystroke to cycle though the toolbars and dockers and then using tab or
something to reach the actual button. Sounds harder than using the arrow keys
as used in the menu.

> > So I don't think we should want to navigate a toolbar.
>
> I think we want to.

I still have my doubts.
--
Thomas Zander