KDE4 default shortcut theme

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Mar 29 12:54:30 BST 2007

On 29.03.07 14:43:44, Alexander Dymo wrote:
> On Thursday 29 March 2007 12:07, Ellen Reitmayr wrote:
> > Olaf and me went through the KDE system shortcuts and suggest a few changes
> > for the KDE4 default shortcuts. For one, we would like to add some
> > alternative keyboard combination for a higher consistency with other
> > systems, for the other we'd like to introduce several new shortcuts which
> > are required for full keyboard access (accessibility). The latter requires
> > changes in the libs.
>
> Heh. Shortcuts... I think it's right time to propose that
> application-defined shortcuts have a preference over KDE global shortcuts.
> You can't even imagine how painful was to find a shortcut for a feature
> in KDevelop where half of good ones is taken by Kate part and another
> half by KDE itself.
>
> Can we have that preference implemented please?

I strongly object. This will introduce a mess. People needing shortcuts
will use them in Krita happily (for example F6 to switch to
image-displaying-widget) and then they start KDevelop and F6 is bound to
Build and they have to re-learn.

We should try to keep the number of global shortcuts to a minimum, this
means removing stupid stuff like ctrl+F<num> to switch to certain
desktops. Or 6 shortcuts to switch to cycle between desktops (Anybody
here with more than 4 desktops?). I saw a few other things recently in
the KDE keyboard configuration, I'll try to go through them later and
propose the removal of the ones I don't see the need for.

Andreas

--
Don't look now, but the man in the moon is laughing at you.