Access keys

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Thu Mar 29 12:43:35 BST 2007

On Thursday 29 of March 2007, Ellen Reitmayr wrote:
> Olaf and me also had a look at access keys and would love to see the
> following changes:
>
> Initialisation: Alt-Shift-Space instead of Ctrl

 I expect accessibility people won't be very happy with such complicated
default, although, I expect, the rest will be.

> Direct call of a (known) access key: Alt-Shift-<key>

 Funny, that's how it was in the first implementation of it IIRC.

> When the initialising key sequence is changed, we'd like to provide a hint
> in the statusbar when users press "Ctrl" saying "Press Alt-Shift-0 for
> access keys".

> Ways to exit access keys:
> - Alt-Shift
> - Escape
> - Press any modifier key

 Any modifier key can be tricky, e.g. the default Czech layout has 2 actually
as Shift+<2>.

> - Click anywhere into the window
>
> The access keys should become more intelligent. Currently, 26 (?) keys are

 36 (A-Z,0-9). More than this becomes rather complicated.

> assigned to the first links, so important links at the end of a page are
> often dismissed. Important links may be Next/Previous, page numbers,
> Continue, Home, ... They should be preferred and get meaningful access keys
> (e.g. N for Next, 1 for page 1, etc).

 This is already (at least somewhat) implemented, search KHTML for
fallbackAccessKeysAssignments.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http//www.suse.cz