Improved character selector

Torsten Rahn torsten.rahn at credativ.de
Mon Mar 26 14:40:31 BST 2007

Nice to see that KCharselect is receiving some love :)

However looking at the screenshot I feel a bit puzzled:

What kind of use case does this GUI try to address?

I'd say that 90% of the users go into the Charselector to search for a glyph
that is not accessible via the keyboard and have it copied into the clipboard
(or similar) via pressing a button.

So having a "search" line edit at the top doesn't really make sense unless you
plan to look-up details via a keystroke which will likely be the minority of
users. I also think that the details tab on the right covers way too many
details presented by default.

I'd suggest to

- Add a copy button to let the user copy the character into the clipboard
- have the information panel not displayed by default but instead once you
press a button "Details".
- Contact the usability people to review this dialog.

Torsten

--
 Torsten Rahn
 Tel.: +49 (0)21 61 / 46 43-0

 credativ GmbH, HRB Düren 4052
 Karl-Heinz-Beckurts-Str. 13, 52428 Jülich
 Geschäftsführung: Dr. Michael Meskes, Jörg Folz, Pasquale D'Alessandro