Improved character selector

Daniel Laidig d.laidig at gmx.de
Mon Mar 26 13:42:14 BST 2007

Hello,

I'm working on adding Unicode information to KCharSelect [1]. Now, most things
work and since I'm new to KDE development, I would like to have this
reviewed here first.

New features include improved GUI, full character names and descriptions,
categorization, search and drag and drop.

You can see a screenshot of the new widget here: [2] and I've attached the
sources.

- kcharselect.cpp
- kcharselect.h
- kcharselect_p.h
- kcharselectdata.cpp and kcharselectdata_p.h
  Contains functions to access the data. Only used by KCharSelect internally.
- kcharselect_unicodedata.h
  Internal header, included by kcharselectdata.cpp, generated by a script.
  Note that I've removed large parts of the data since the file is quite huge.

You can get a full patch for kdelibs and kdeutils at [3] if you want to test
the code.

At the moment, this blows up the size of kdeui quite much. The first plan was
to make just the data a plugin, loaded on access. When the mail server was
down tronical suggested on IRC to move KCharSelect completely to kdeutils (as
a plugin) and to just have the interface in kdelibs/interfaces (like
kregexpeditor).

I think that's a good idea and I will work on it the next few days. If I'm
ready, I'll post the interface here.

The code has still some flaws and the search code should be rewritten
completely. I'll deal with this in the next weeks. Also not everything follows
the coding style yet.

I first wanted to commit today, but the downtime made it impossible to discuss
this here.

If there are no objections, I would like to commit next Monday, April 2 (and
port everything in trunk of course). That would remove
kdelibs/widgets/kcharselect* and add a file to kdelibs/interfaces. I don't
know if this commit is affected by the freeze of April 1, but there was no
other way.

Thanks!
Daniel

[1] http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-usability&m=117269912217918&w=2