ANNOUNCE: CMake 2.4.5 will be required starting Monday, March 19th

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sun Mar 11 23:24:30 GMT 2007

On Sunday 11 March 2007 23:40, you wrote:
> On Sunday 11 March 2007, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > But there also weren't major objections to requiring 2.4.5, so I got the
> > impression most people already have >= 2.4.5.
>
> Yes but no. From the other thread, not only, I got the impression there was
> an objection to the continuous uping of requirements,

03/19/2007: 2.4.5 (released 12/04/2006)
09/12/2006: 2.4.3 (released 07/31/2006)
05/09/2006: 2.4.1 (released 05/01/2006)

> stable version of the major distributions don't have cmake 2.4.5. And it's
> not that this is difficult to increase version, but it's time consuming and
> not at all fun. I doubt that I am the only developers to like working with
> a stable environnement, and by stable, I don't mean not crashing, krita
> crashes more because of us than kdelibs, but by stable I mean I can safely
> "svn up" and not spend two hours downloading new programs, upgrading other
> libraries, etc... etc... And sure cmake is less a dangerous upgrade than
> dbus or Qt4, but still it's annoying.

I understand this very well and as you can see in the dates listed above I try
to upgrade the requirements as seldom as possible and give enough time after
the version has been released. Current cmake is 2.4.6, 2.4.7 will come soon,
and we will start to require 2.4.5, i.e. not the most recent version. From
the feedback I got basically for all distros there are packages available. If
not, you can also simply unpack the binary package from
http://www.cmake.org/HTML/Download.html and it should work (at least works
for me on Slackware, SUSE 10.0 and kubuntu).

Right now I don't really feel like implementing a workaround for
INSTALL(DIRECTORY ...) in a 2.4.3 compatible way. Additionally I have a patch
which changes automoc behaviour and makes the cmake run faster on my local
harddisk since september or so, but wasn't able to commit because I didn't
want to force everybody to upgrade.
But now I think after half a year it should be possible to upgrade it once.
When we release KDE 4.0 it would be nice if we would require a cmake version
which is shipped by all major distros. Debian Etch might be a problem, they
have currently 2.4.4, which was (at least on Windows) a broken release.

> So please, at least wait for Qt 4.3 to be forced upon us before upping the

When will this be ?
It would make sense if both happen at the same time, but then we need to know
when 4.3 will be required some time before it actually is required.

Bye
Alex