make kdeui loadable by styles, kill/merge kdefx

David Faure faure at kde.org
Fri Jun 29 23:25:59 BST 2007

On Friday 29 June 2007, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> I know I've heard people talk about wanting to kill/merge kdefx, and I
> recently learned that the reason it exists as a separate library is (at
> least in part) due to some issues loading kdeui outside of a KApplication.
... and problems when unloading libraries.
(not depending on kapp is something we have already fixed in kdelibs4).

> Is this an issue that can be resolved? (Unfortunately, I don't know
> enough about the problem to feel that I can fix it myself.) If so, are
> people still in favor of eliminating kdefx as a separate library for KDE4?

It could be that there is nothing to fix anymore, so the first step isn't
"how to fix it", but writing a test for it. Write a style that links to kdeui,
and send the patch around for people on various systems (including
FreeBSD and Solaris if possible, not only Linux) to test it (in particular
testing it in Qt designer and Qt-only apps).