RFC: Location for KexiDB and 3rdparty libs like sqlite

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Jun 26 21:34:22 BST 2007

Jarosław Staniek wrote:
>Hello,
>KexiDB is a data/database handling library independent of Kexi or
> KOffice. In order to have it available for other apps (not only KOffice
> but e.g. a KDEPIM plugins, a KDevelop plugin, or a plasmoid, you name
> it) we need to move the stuff up somewhere in SVN.

Great. Do you mean kdelibs or extragear/libs?

>The library will receive rather massive API changes and extensions, as
> it is developed in parallel with other apps, to suit their needs. So BC
> cannot be maintained as in kdelibs.

Ok, no go for kdelibs then. Are you going to move it to extragear/libs
then

>Other apps would not have problems with this as the support would be
>dynamically loaded.

That means each application has its own plugin system. That's completely
irrelevant to the discussion.

>Is kdeplayground safer solution?

That depends on how ready you judge your library to be. If it's too early
to say, playground/libs would be the place, yeah. If you consider it to
be near release state, it's extragear/libs.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358