RFC: Location for KexiDB and 3rdparty libs like sqlite

Jaroslaw Staniek js at iidea.pl
Wed Jun 27 00:20:31 BST 2007

Thiago Macieira said the following, On 2007-06-26 22:34:
> Jarosław Staniek wrote:
>> Hello,
>> KexiDB is a data/database handling library independent of Kexi or
>> KOffice. In order to have it available for other apps (not only KOffice
>> but e.g. a KDEPIM plugins, a KDevelop plugin, or a plasmoid, you name
>> it) we need to move the stuff up somewhere in SVN.
>
> Great. Do you mean kdelibs or extragear/libs?
>
>> The library will receive rather massive API changes and extensions, as
>> it is developed in parallel with other apps, to suit their needs. So BC
>> cannot be maintained as in kdelibs.
>
> Ok, no go for kdelibs then. Are you going to move it to extragear/libs
> then
>
>> Other apps would not have problems with this as the support would be
>> dynamically loaded.
>
> That means each application has its own plugin system. That's completely
> irrelevant to the discussion.
>
>> Is kdeplayground safer solution?
>
> That depends on how ready you judge your library to be. If it's too early
> to say, playground/libs would be the place, yeah. If you consider it to
> be near release state, it's extragear/libs.

Thanks for this opinion. I have no problem with playground/libs as current
location for KexiDB.
In KDE3 we have been cooking koffice releases with keximdb plugin from
kdenonbeta provided as a small additional tarball. Now KOffice/Kexi (alpha,
beta) would depend on a lib from playground (so it's somewhat opposite
direction)...

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek