RFC: problems with splitting up kdebase

Matthias Kretz kretz at kde.org
Tue Jun 26 13:39:17 BST 2007

On Tuesday 26 June 2007, David Faure wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 June 2007, Matthias Kretz wrote:
> > Regarding DBus interface descriptions, I think we should put them
> > somewhere into kdelibs/interfaces.
>
> Well, for standard desktop stuff yes, but not for every single kde
> application, IMHO. Will we even put kde-apps.org interfaces there? :)

Of course not push every single dbus interface you've ever seen into
kdelibs. :) Perhaps a simple rule would be: "move it to kdelibs when a
different module starts to use it"

> > Rationale: with the release of an application the DBus interface has to
> > be kept compatible (perhaps with the exception of parts that are
> > explicitly marked as internal or so - I think this was discussed before,
> > don't remember how we wanted to handle this exactly). So in order to make
> > it easier a) for the app developer to realize that this is a public
> > interface b) for other app developers to correctly use the DBus interface
> > I think those should go into kdelibs
>
> Compatible yes, but how do you add methods to the interface and still
> compile with older versions of kdelibs? Won't work.

Good point, the app implementing the interface wouldn't be able to use the xml
file from kdelibs (after 4.0 at least - and if it supports compilation with
older kdelibs). So such an app could ship its own interface file and
overwrite the one from kdelibs (I guess packagers would hate that solution).

Anyway this really seems to get a bit messy. :(

would svn externals for the xml files be a solution?

http://Vir.homelinux.org/
Matthias.Kretz at urz.uni-heidelberg.de