RFC: problems with splitting up kdebase

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Jun 26 14:18:40 BST 2007

Matthias Kretz wrote:
>> Compatible yes, but how do you add methods to the interface and still
>> compile with older versions of kdelibs? Won't work.
>
>Good point, the app implementing the interface wouldn't be able to use
> the xml file from kdelibs (after 4.0 at least - and if it supports
> compilation with older kdelibs). So such an app could ship its own
> interface file and overwrite the one from kdelibs (I guess packagers
> would hate that solution).

The original conception was that adaptor files (generated) would be added
to the Subversion repository. They'd be re-generated only when the
interface was updated.

It was not my idea to auto-generate adaptors during compilation.

But you can still do that. Just ship the .xml files with the source, but
don't install them.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358