RFC: problems with splitting up kdebase

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue Jun 26 13:04:35 BST 2007

On Tuesday 26 June 2007, Matthias Kretz wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 June 2007, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> > a) apps/konqueror needs orc.kde.org.kdesktop.*.xml from workspace/kdesktop

Fixed (the konqueror settings dialog had some kdesktop stuff, this is disabled now).

> Regarding DBus interface descriptions, I think we should put them somewhere
> into kdelibs/interfaces.

Well, for standard desktop stuff yes, but not for every single kde application, IMHO.
Will we even put kde-apps.org interfaces there? :)

> Rationale: with the release of an application the DBus interface has to be
> kept compatible (perhaps with the exception of parts that are explicitly
> marked as internal or so - I think this was discussed before, don't remember
> how we wanted to handle this exactly). So in order to make it easier
> a) for the app developer to realize that this is a public interface
> b) for other app developers to correctly use the DBus interface
> I think those should go into kdelibs

Compatible yes, but how do you add methods to the interface and still
compile with older versions of kdelibs? Won't work.