KConfig nested groups

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sun Jun 24 23:42:58 BST 2007

On 25.06.07 00:15:35, Andreas Hartmetz wrote:
> On Sunday 24 June 2007 21:18:48 Keith (n/a) wrote:
> > Dear KDE developers,
> >     I am asking for the KDE team to consider implementing nested groups in
> > kconfig before the release of KDE4. I am in the process of developing a
> > point and click game IDE called kollagame. The game is going to allow users
> > to add and remove various objects to the IDE to be used when developing a
> > level. The state of these objects need to be preserved between use of the
> > program. Currently KConfig allows groups but not nested groups and since my
> > game is going to have N number of tiles, spells, weapons, etc, I am in
> > great need of nested groups from kconfig. If this feature is unavailable, I
> > am either going to have to abuse kconfig and manualy create nested groups
> > [...]
>
> The patch you attached also implements nested groups in a (theoretically)
> rather unsafe way using composite group names. You can do that yourself with
> a minimum of hassle - just prefix your group names. At an earlier point in
> the development cycle I'd have liked the idea of adding nested groups, but
> not now.

Yeah, its quite late. I suggested to ask nevertheless as the patch
didn't get any comments when it was last posted in March. (see
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=117300055821503&w=2)

> It's an API change, it needs some testing (KConfig has quite some
> autotests for a good reason) and IMHO it needs to be done "right" instead of
> slapping on prefixes. Or maybe prefixes are not too bad, but there is not
> enough time to discuss any of this now.
> *If* somebody wants to do this and do it right and quick, why not? Good luck,
> you'll need it :)

Maybe it can be considered for 4.1 unless its not doable in a BC-manner
(which would be quite sad).

Andreas

--
You have taken yourself too seriously.