KConfig nested groups

Andreas Hartmetz ahartmetz at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 23:15:35 BST 2007

On Sunday 24 June 2007 21:18:48 Keith (n/a) wrote:
> Dear KDE developers,
>     I am asking for the KDE team to consider implementing nested groups in
> kconfig before the release of KDE4. I am in the process of developing a
> point and click game IDE called kollagame. The game is going to allow users
> to add and remove various objects to the IDE to be used when developing a
> level. The state of these objects need to be preserved between use of the
> program. Currently KConfig allows groups but not nested groups and since my
> game is going to have N number of tiles, spells, weapons, etc, I am in
> great need of nested groups from kconfig. If this feature is unavailable, I
> am either going to have to abuse kconfig and manualy create nested groups
> [...]

The patch you attached also implements nested groups in a (theoretically)
rather unsafe way using composite group names. You can do that yourself with
a minimum of hassle - just prefix your group names. At an earlier point in
the development cycle I'd have liked the idea of adding nested groups, but
not now. It's an API change, it needs some testing (KConfig has quite some
autotests for a good reason) and IMHO it needs to be done "right" instead of
slapping on prefixes. Or maybe prefixes are not too bad, but there is not
enough time to discuss any of this now.
*If* somebody wants to do this and do it right and quick, why not? Good luck,
you'll need it :)