replacing kcontrol with system settings

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Thu Jun 14 22:58:39 BST 2007

On Thursday 14 June 2007, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> This is a frontend to kcontrol module with a user interface which
> scales better for users compared to the simple tree view of kcontrol.

It's still got its share of big problems. It's a simple carbon-copy of OS X
preferences app -- without the only really useful bit of the origial, the
feature where you can drag often used control panel icons onto a bar. And its
layout management is definitely not good enough; it wastes oodles of screen
space, especially if you open it after having used a big control panel last
time. The tile bars under icons show really weird word breaks (User -
Managemen - t on my system). And after years of claiming that having ordinary
and advanced buttons wasn't a solution, that's just what system settings
provides.

Not that I oppose your proposal; it's just that I think that if anything,
system settings is not in any way beyond mediocre. But then, KControl,
although not such a blatant clone of somebody else's work, isn't really
better.

--
Boudewijn Rempt
http://www.valdyas.org/fading/index.cgi