replacing kcontrol with system settings

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Thu Jun 14 22:45:47 BST 2007

I'd like to propose replacing kcontrol with system settings in trunk.
This is a frontend to kcontrol module with a user interface which
scales better for users compared to the simple tree view of kcontrol.
The UI has had usability reviews from Ellen of openusability.  It has
been the default in Kubuntu for some time and seems to be generally
preferred (some people are surprised to learn default KDE still uses
KControl).  The current KControl maintainer, danimo, has agreed to the
change.

The code is in branches/work/kde4/systemsettings_kde4/ ready to go.
There is some tidying up of old K3 and Q3 classes to be done and I'd
like to move it to the new klistview class.  Module categories need to
be changed throughout KDE, and there is the question of what to do the
kinfocentre.

Screenshots:

http://muse.19inch.net/~jr/tmp/systemsettings.png
http://muse.19inch.net/~jr/tmp/systemsettings1.png