[RFC] Color usability time...

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Fri Jun 8 07:03:42 BST 2007

Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>> I'm not sure what HSY is so I don't know if that would solve the problem
>> since S would still be the same as HSL.
>
> Not entirely, since S related to the 'intensity function'. Anyway HSY is
> basically HSL but with the 'intensity' calculated in the correct manner
> so that two colors with the same Y have the same perceived intensity.
> See e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luma_%28video%29.

Maybe.  But, S is still the linear interpolation between the black to
white axis and the surface of the color cube at that point.

>> IIUC, the scientific theory needed to do this exists.  What is needed is
>> for the colors to appear the same in saturation and value to the 2
>> degree standard observer using an appropriate choice of Standard
>> Illuminant (D50?) or uniform weighting.
>
> See Olaf's suggestion: http://accessibility.kde.org/hsl-adjusted.php.
> Does that sound/look like what you are looking for?

That looks interesting.

IAC, the strips to my right are clearly better.  The ones on my left
show the exact problem that I am having with Green.  How was the PNG made?

--
JRT