[RFC] Color usability time...

Olaf Schmidt ojschmidt at kde.org
Fri Jun 8 08:21:52 BST 2007

[ James Richard Tyrer, Fr., 8. Jun. 2007 ]
> IAC, the strips to my right are clearly better.  The ones on my left
> show the exact problem that I am having with Green.  How was the PNG made?

I wrote a PHP script for it which I accidentally deleted in the meantime.

I defined sHSL based on the sRGB and HDTV standards, meaning that the
luminosity value is fully hue independent on a perfect sRGB-calibrated
screen. Of course, no one owns such a screen, but using sRGB is our safest
bet as it is widely used (HDTV, digital cameras, photo printers, HTML, CSS,
accessibility guidelines) and has a median gamma value (2.2, with 2.2-2.4
common on PCs, 2.2 on new Macs and 1.8 on old Macs).

The "s" in sHSL is meant to show its relation to sRGB. Normally RGB is not
well-defined, and hence neither the HSV or HSL (= HLS, HSI, HSY) color spaces
derived from it.

Olaf