[RFC] Color usability time...

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Jun 8 05:39:50 BST 2007

James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> I'm not sure what HSY is so I don't know if that would solve the problem
> since S would still be the same as HSL.

Not entirely, since S related to the 'intensity function'. Anyway HSY is
basically HSL but with the 'intensity' calculated in the correct manner
so that two colors with the same Y have the same perceived intensity.
See e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luma_%28video%29.

> IIUC, the scientific theory needed to do this exists.  What is needed is
> for the colors to appear the same in saturation and value to the 2
> degree standard observer using an appropriate choice of Standard
> Illuminant (D50?) or uniform weighting.

See Olaf's suggestion: http://accessibility.kde.org/hsl-adjusted.php.
Does that sound/look like what you are looking for?

--
Mathew
(sorry, .sig file is on the other computer)