[RFC] Color usability time...

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Fri Jun 8 04:22:25 BST 2007

Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Monday 04 June 2007 20:42:31 Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> == HSL and HSY
>> In order to most closely conform to human perception of color, we
>> really should be doing operations in HSY.
>
> The reason Matthew says the above is because he is of the opinion that the
> following screenshot shows one bar for each transition that is absolutely
> of lesser quality (and unusable for the usability principles) then each
> other. (which one do you like best)
> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=118013796925437&q=p4
>
> Naturally we are not doing a science class and we surely are not using
> perfect equipment[1] so we should really question the authority with
> which he states these supposted facts.
>
> 1) a CRT monitory typically has a 20% color inaccuracy (variance). Laptop
> screens are worse since they can have different backlight levels to top
> it off.

Doesn't really matter since (at least with a CRT) it is up to the user
to adjust his equipment.  The question is which color space
representation is most usable.

I think that a consensus is developing that HSV has serious issues that
are solved by using HSL.  However, although HSL is easier to use, it
still does not make it possible to automatically produce colors of
different hues that look the same.

To define the problem, see attached.  All the colors except for Manilla
have the same S & V using HSV.  I haven't tried this on HSL yet but I
don't think that that will help.  My problem is simple, I want all the
colors to look like the red but be different in Hue.  Something that
would make this simple to do, would improve usability.

I'm not sure what HSY is so I don't know if that would solve the problem
since S would still be the same as HSL.

IIUC, the scientific theory needed to do this exists.  What is needed is
for the colors to appear the same in saturation and value to the 2
degree standard observer using an appropriate choice of Standard
Illuminant (D50?) or uniform weighting.

--
JRT