[RFC] Color usability time...

Matt Newell newellm at blur.com
Mon Jun 4 21:23:36 BST 2007

On Monday 04 June 2007 12:00, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Monday 04 June 2007 20:42:31 Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> > == HSL and HSY
> > In order to most closely conform to human perception of color, we
> > really should be doing operations in HSY.
>
> The reason Matthew says the above is because he is of the opinion that the
> following screenshot shows one bar for each transition that is absolutely
> of lesser quality (and unusable for the usability principles) then each
> other. (which one do you like best)
> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=118013796925437&q=p4

I personally think HSY is the best colorspace for lightening/darkening and
other effects.  I happen to agree with people who obviously have thought more
about this than anyone on this list,
http://www.prip.tuwien.ac.at/~hanbury/CVWW02.pdf.

However, as long as the self proclaimed KDE pixel daddy and his clique say no
HSL/HSY, then i guess it's not gonna happen, even if it IS in the best
interest of kde users.  I've read the whole discussion and it make me want to
vommit on my keyboard.

Matt