[RFC] Color usability time, take 2

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Jun 7 15:56:18 BST 2007

Olaf Schmidt wrote:
> [ Matthew Woehlke, Di., 5. Jun. 2007 ]
>> alert -> fgError (bg/fg swapped) *
>> function -> fgVisited
>> region -> fgActive (bg/fg swapped) *
>> error -> fgNegative [underlined]
>>
>> (* yes, bad for accessibility I know, but I'm also balancing against not
>> changing the existing colors too radically)
>
> In the new HIG, therew will be a rule saying that forground colours may never
> be used as background colours. Usability tests with partially sighted people
> have shown that the text can be completely unreadable for them otherwise.

I'm aware of it, I just ran out of ways to coerce those roles into
fitting kate's needs :-(. So, better suggestions welcome, because I
couldn't think of anything. Do we need to add >8 roles? (I guess we
could use a different background role here, and selection will just be
the way it is?) These two attributes in kate are meant to be serious
eye-catchers...

--
Matthew
(...with apologies to Arthur C. Clarke)