[RFC] Color usability time, take 2

Olaf Schmidt ojschmidt at kde.org
Fri Jun 8 06:48:19 BST 2007

[ Matthew Woehlke, Do., 7. Jun. 2007 ]
> I'm aware of it, I just ran out of ways to coerce those roles into
> fitting kate's needs :-(. So, better suggestions welcome, because I
> couldn't think of anything.

You can find a possible kate colour theme attached.

> Do we need to add >8 roles? (I guess we could use a different background
> role here, and selection will just be the way it is?) These two attributes
> in kate are meant to be serious eye-catchers...

Using a red background would also be a serious eye-catcher.

And the number of additional colours would not be > 8.
You suggestion was 5*12=60 colours.

We can reduce this number by  having the list background only for View, and
the 7 numbered colours only twice (background and foreground).

This would mean 5*4+1+2*7=35 colours.

The 7 foreground colours would need to work with View and with all of the 7
background colours.

For the other cases (Window, Button, Selection, Tooltip) we test whether the
foreground colour or the background colour provides better contrast. This way
we can catch cases where e.g. View has a light background and Selection a
dark one. Perhaps we could even additionally increase the contrast a bit (but
I don't think that's really needed.)

Olaf