[RFC] Color usability time...

Robert Knight robertknight at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 21:07:22 BST 2007

Hello Matthew,

Just a word about prioritisation.  Your post discusses quite a variety
of topics.  I think the addition of new colour roles is far and away
the most important item in the list - so perhaps we should concentrate
on that for now.

In particular, the existing colours only handle basic widget  /
subwidget types and a few states.  What is missing is a set of
KDE-wide colors for more abstract things:

For example, colors to indicate:

- Success
- Failure
- Warning
- High Importance
- Low Importance
- New
- Old
- Activity
- Inactivity
- Personal ( something targeted specifically at the user - eg. an IM comment )
- Impersonal ( something not specifically targetted at the user )

I am going to be possibly controversial here and suggest that we don't
rush to provide a configuration tool with KDE to change all of these
colours individually,   Instead with the focus on trying to provide a
selection of attractive and tested colour schemes, including several
to cater for common problems which people may have with colours.
People who understand accessibility better than I do please comment if
this is not-doable.

One other thing is that there are times when it might an application
might require a use which is not covered in the list.  Perhaps we
could provide a method for an application to ask whether a particular
colour combination is acceptable ( ie.
KSomeClass::areColorsAcceptable(foregroundColor,backgroundColor) ) and
if not, the application can fall back to something safer.

Regards,
Robert.