State of kdefx

Mosfet daniel.duley at verizon.net
Wed Jul 25 12:08:09 BST 2007

Hi Aaron, it's been a long time!

On Wednesday 25 July 2007 4:58:29 am Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 July 2007, Mosfet wrote:
> > be replaced by Zack's library. In the meantime I can make an interm
> > library with an API similiar to KImageEffect that people can use until
> > KDE4.1. I
>
> how similar? i suppose if there was a link to the porting docs or the api
> itself i could just answer that myself, right? =)

All the old methods are there but everything I wrote has been totally
rewritten compared to what is in SVN. Some support MMX or 3dNow, some have a
quality setting that internally selects an integer or floating point
convolve, in some cases the algorithm changed, etc...

I'm writing the test app now. I should have it uploaded somewhere today or
tomorrow.

...snip...

> hm. too bad this only comes up now? if the API is indeed similar enough
> (that porting is trivial) perhaps we could've provided it as an interim 4.0
> replacement for the brokenesque kimagefx that's there right now .... then
> whenever quasar and friends show up we can start moving people and code to
> that, but in the meantime we have well behaving image manip utils.

I agree and that is what I would of preferred when I offered to fix
KImageEffect  well before KDE4.0 development started ;-) Things being what
they are and the API being frozen I still think it's okay to point people to
a 3rd party lib, (Blitz), to use until Quasar is done.

If it's still needed by apps in SVN, (something I believe Matt is working on),
it can be added as a dependency for KDE4.0 without breaking the API freeze.