state of kdefx (again), BC exemption request

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri Jul 20 03:18:52 BST 2007

Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>I'd like to make a request to exempt this library from requirement to
>maintain BC in KDE 4.0 so that we have much more time to address the API
>and hopefully ultimately remove the library entirely (merging
>functionality we want to keep into kdeui or elsewhere, or possibly
>giving it new life as a more "traditional" KDE library perhaps in a
>different module). The "nice" way to do this is to make the library
>static so that it can still be used but without BC issues.

Not possible. This kind of decision has to be taken before the KDE 4.0 ABI
freeze because it affects libkdeui.

If kdeui links to kdefx, then said library HAS to exist for the entire
lifetime of KDE 4, even if it's a dummy library with no symbols in it.

If you want to be able to break binary compatibility, please don't install
any headers. Only stuff in kdelibs will be allowed to link to kdefx.

If you want to remove the library in KDE 4.1, then don't link to it in any
of the public libraries.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358