state of kdefx (again), BC exemption request

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Jul 20 15:58:12 BST 2007

Maksim Orlovich wrote:
>> (I'm CC'ing kde-devel, if you have code that you know uses kdefx please
>> read and offer comments if you have any.)
>
> I suggest using lxr.kde.org

Quite a few hits, alas, but it will take some time to look at what parts
are actually being used where. (Unsurprisingly styles account for a big
chunk of that.)

>> Casper Boemann and I were talking about KStyle and its various
>> deficiencies (and how we can't technically address them any more due to
>> the freeze) while working on the Oxygen style, which reminded me of a
>> couple of things...
>
> I plan on finishing up some holes in KStyle ASAP, but it should be fairly
> extensible. Oh, and it would be nice if you actually notify people who,
> uhm, wrote the class and know why it is the way it is, of any issues you
> have.

My understanding was that boemann was already attempting to communicate
with "the KStyle maintainer". If that is incorrect, I apologize.

>> - The library has, AFAIK, not had any major review, and has things like
>> gradient generators that appear to be obsolete in Qt4.
>
> These are hardly a big issue. 99% of KImageEffect OTOH is useless and
> probably doesn't even work.

Ooookay, that's scary. If this is the case then we *seriously* need to
do something about it, no?

> I don't believe this is acceptable. If classes are really not used,
> they're easy to cut,

Howso? My understanding is that once KDE4 is released they cannot be
changed/removed for BC reasons.

> (Oh, and one can always make a trivial libkdefx.so that forwards to kdeui.
> Has been done before with kspell)

...or forwards to Qt. :-)

--
Matthew