remove QtGui dependence of kdecore

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Wed Jan 3 18:32:51 GMT 2007

Alexander Neundorf wrote:
>> Because ioslaves may still link to QtGui. They talk to the uiserver,
>> the open password dialogs, they open SSL confirmation dialogs, etc.
>
>Couldn't ui_server be replaced by a curses implementation on the console
> ? If we had a kio_ui, maybe too ?

Hmm... I think this was one of the original intentions in splitting
KIO::Job into KJob: to allow for a curses-based implementation if
necessary of the messages and user interactions.

But I say this: do not over-complicate the code for a use-case that does
not exist. If someone can come up with a compelling use-case for
text-mode ioslaves (I don't mean GUI-less apps, I mean apps running with
completely outside a graphical display), we should investigate the
possibility.

There's simply too much in kio that depends on user interaction, like the
SSL dialogs or even the rename dialogs. If we were to decouple all of
those into core/gui, the code could conceivably become too complex to be
maintained. And all for a use-case that I currently don't see.

Remember: we're making a graphical desktop. The fact that our tools can be
used in non-graphical desktops is a plus, not the main goal.

>> In order to talk to klauncher, we need to start it and we need D-Bus.
>> First of all, D-Bus only autolaunches inside X. Second, we haven't yet
>> determined how to start klauncher via D-Bus without starting the whole
>> of KDE.
>
>Sounds more like a not-yet-solved minor technical issue (says the one
> who knows almost nothing about DBUS ;-)

The solution in KDE 3 now is that if DCOP isn't running, we start the DCOP
server and kdeinit. In KDE 4, we could detect that klauncher isn't
running and start it manually.

KDE applications don't start at all if D-Bus isn't available (running or
auto-startable).

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358