remove QtGui dependence of kdecore

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Wed Jan 3 18:13:25 GMT 2007

On Wednesday 03 January 2007 16:36, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Olivier Goffart wrote:
> >>
> >> Rephrasing: this would allow one to use kioslaves in an application
> >> that doesn't link to QtGui. It would still require an X environment
> >> and UI.
> >
> >Why ?
>
> Because ioslaves may still link to QtGui. They talk to the uiserver, the
> open password dialogs, they open SSL confirmation dialogs, etc.

Couldn't ui_server be replaced by a curses implementation on the console ?
If we had a kio_ui, maybe too ?

> In order to talk to klauncher, we need to start it and we need D-Bus.
> First of all, D-Bus only autolaunches inside X. Second, we haven't yet
> determined how to start klauncher via D-Bus without starting the whole of
> KDE.

Sounds more like a not-yet-solved minor technical issue (says the one who
knows almost nothing about DBUS ;-)

Yes, a lot of work, and I'm (unfortunately) not the one who can do it, so
these are just my 2cent.

At least, this would open ioslaves to "non-KDE" applications (i.e. GUIless
apps).

Bye
Alex