organizing kdebase

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Thu Feb 22 21:54:33 GMT 2007

On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 09:25:33AM -0700, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On February 22, 2007, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 03:17:27PM -0700, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > > kdmlib -> kdm/lib, greeter classes
> >
> > i don't like this idea - otherwise i had done it in the first place. ;)
> > the greeter plugins are needed by both kdm and kdesktop_lock (whatever
> > it becomes now). putting it under kdm/ makes compiling it without kdm
> > much harder.
>
> really? just do what i did with plasma/lib: put it in
> workspace/CMakeLists.txt. voila!

how intuitive. ;)
i'm no fan of the implied asymmetry ("kdesktop_lock uses kdm stuff"),
either.

> > but i wouldn't be opposed to renaming the dir once dmlib moves into
> > workspace/lib/ (or whatever it was).
>
> ok, so we will at least call it libkdm to keep it consistent.

i rather thought about "kgreet_plugins" or something to that effect.

> > > utils
> > > ===
> > > [...]
> > > kreadconfig (read and write kconfig entries via the command line)
> > > [...]
> >
> > these are really backend tools usually used from scripts, some of them
> > critical to workspace.
>
> which are critical to workspace?

kreadconfig was once used in startkde, but this isn't the case any more

> > lumping them together with "pure 'user' tools" like kdebugdialog
> > just does not feel right. they are more like runtime/utils/ or
> > something.
>
> what applications use them? according to my research: none.

that's not the point. these tools have library character and thus are
by definition "runtime". whatever.