organizing kdebase

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Feb 22 16:25:33 GMT 2007

On February 22, 2007, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 03:17:27PM -0700, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > workspace
> > =======
> >
> > libs:
> > kdmlib -> kdm/lib, greeter classes
>
> i don't like this idea - otherwise i had done it in the first place. ;)
> the greeter plugins are needed by both kdm and kdesktop_lock (whatever
> it becomes now). putting it under kdm/ makes compiling it without kdm
> much harder.

really? just do what i did with plasma/lib: put it in
workspace/CMakeLists.txt. voila!

> but i wouldn't be opposed to renaming the dir once dmlib
> moves into workspace/lib/ (or whatever it was).

ok, so we will at least call it libkdm to keep it consistent. we'll still have
to see about moving it into kdm/lib ...

> > utils
> > ===
> > kdialog (bring your scripts to life with kdialog[tm])
> > kioclient (kio ops that were previously in kfmclient)
> > kquitapp (quit an application via IPC)
> > kreadconfig (read and write kconfig entries via the command line)
> > kstart  (handy utility to start applications in various states)
> > solidshell (command line utility for interacting with hardware via solid)
>
> these are really backend tools usually used from scripts, some of them
> critical to workspace.

which are critical to workspace? and by 'critical' i mean: applications will
start to function poorly, not 'but we are really used to having them there
and some user depend on them for day to day work'. the latter is why they are
in kdebase.

> lumping them together with "pure 'user' tools" like
> kdebugdialog just does not feel right. they are more like runtime/utils/
> or something.

what applications use them? according to my research: none.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se