organizing kdebase

David Faure faure at kde.org
Thu Feb 22 09:21:19 GMT 2007

> apps
> ===
> [...]
> libs:
> libkonq/ (file management goodies and guffaws)
"belly laughs"? ;)
Well libkonq is an issue in itself since it's used by kicker in a few places right now
(for KonqBookmarkManager and KonqOperations::doDrop) but I'll be working on
moving doDrop to kio, it seems to be widely needed.

> utils
> ===
I'm not convinced about the need to separate utils from runtime.
The reason is: most of those could actually be runtime requirements of 3rd party apps
or scripts. Just like you left kcheckpass in runtime, 3rd party apps and scripts need:
kdialog, kioclient, kreadconfig, kstart...

> kappfinder (find legacy apps and add them to your menu; maybe this moves out
> of base altogether?)
Yeah - nothing runs kappfinder automatically, right?

> kdebugdialog (set actions to take for output from the various debug areas)
OK, that one fits with your definition of utils; but it's the only one :-)

> kdialog (bring your scripts to life with kdialog[tm])
> kioclient (kio ops that were previously in kfmclient)
> kquitapp (quit an application via IPC)
> kreadconfig (read and write kconfig entries via the command line)
> kstart  (handy utility to start applications in various states)
Those are all possible (and likely) runtime dependencies of many scripts.

> kinstalltheme (install time pixmap cache creator; may be obsoleted before 4.0)
Runtime dependency of themes?

> knewstuff (generic app for grabbing knewstuff data; might really be more
> suited to kdeutils or even extragear to be honest)
Yeah.

> solidshell (command line utility for interacting with hardware via solid)
Not sure if it is meant to be used by scripts or advanced users or just for debugging.

Also, kutils vs kdeutils vs kdebase/utils gets confusing ;)