kmainwindow settings group (Re: KDE/kdelibs/kparts)

David Faure faure at kde.org
Thu Feb 22 10:33:13 GMT 2007

On Thursday 22 February 2007, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 22. Februar 2007 10:33 schrieb David Faure:
>
> > Since we need that group for apply/save or setAutoSave, and internally for
> > saveNewToolbarConfig (there's one in KMainWindow too, the kparts one is
> > just a specialization), I'm suggesting to just set it once and for all.
> I fail to understand: how did saveNewToolBarConfig() know in KDE3 that keduca
> would call save with group keduca?
That's the point. It didn't - and that's a bug. Now the question is, how do we fix that bug for kde4.

> What I'm suggesting is that all kmainwindow functions (be it explicit or auto
> saved) use the object name as group and this behaviour can be changed for
> explicit apply/save in passing a non-empty KConfigGroup.
The object name? That doesn't work. It's supposed to be unique for DBUS purposes
(see KMainWindow::setUniqueName), whereas for settings we want to use the
"type" (category) of mainwindow in the application: for instance one group for
KMail's ReaderWindow and another group for KMail's ComposerWindow.
But not one group per window instance ;)