comboboxes - sorted lists in KDE4 - idea

Ferdinand Gassauer gassauer at kde.org
Thu Feb 22 09:21:32 GMT 2007

On Thursday 22 February 2007 00:40:07 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 22.02.07 00:22:52, Ferdinand Gassauer wrote:
> > may I suggest that comboboxes return sorted list by default (and unsorted
> > list only by setting a parameter)
>
> First: this is actually the wrong list to post requests, kde-core-devel
> is better suited.
Sorry no write permission on that list.

> Then I don't understand, a combobox doesn't have any method to return a
> list of items, so what exactly are you proposing? Also you should add
> some reasoning for the request, especially as in if this would happen in
> KDE4, the KComboBox would behave very differently from QComboBox, which is
> not something KDE should do - IMHO.
Unfortunaltely a lot of application return the items in a combobox/drop down
list unsorted and/or ungrouped
While it make sense for some lists not to be sorted because the list is short
and / or some other reasoning is valid - (default item should be on the first
place, To/CC/BCC in addresses New Mail) for all lists with a big number of
items - alphabetical sorting is a must IMHO.

Good Axamples:
* Font Selector

Bad - Examples
* Addressbook :
** Search in fields combo
** Contact Editor: Phone type selector
* KSnapshot
** Capture mode
** Help - this is a good example of how to segment a drop down list, but in
the segmenst the items should be (are?) sorted.
* Krita
** Pixel Brush
* kfiledialog
** file type Filter - needs grouping + sorting - I have no clue, why the list
comes in this order.
* kspread
** configure kspread - page layout - default page size
suggestion: group Europe ISO / US and sort them.

or allow the user to sort the content of the combobox.

hope that enlightens my suggestion.

Ot this idea should go into KDE-stylguide
--
cu
ferdinand