kdelibs coding style

Urs Wolfer uwolfer at kde.org
Tue Feb 13 19:13:38 GMT 2007

On Tuesday 13 February 2007, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> On Monday, 12. February 2007 23:45, Urs Wolfer wrote:
> > the files, which are edited in any way by a developer. But to be honest:
> > Who has done that? People change some lines, but nobody cares about the
> > formating.
>
> Sure they do. I've not seen many violations. But if there are, it certainly
> makes sense people to make aware that they break the style.

My statement was probably a bit harsh. Sorry about that. But while reading
commit logs, I see a _lot_ commits without changing anything than just some
lines. These new lines have mostly a good style, but the old, messy code
stays there. That's why I proposed a mass formatting. I would like to have
clean and consistent code, at least in kdelibs. But I see that is not the
opinion of all; I respect that.

> I've been thinking about adding the style check to the commit log
> generation script so that we have an automatic review of patches as they're
> being committed but first I need a good perl script that does check
> reliably for offending bugs ;)

It would probably be a good idea. But it could also probably annoy developers,
who just want to fix a bug and not correct the formating of the whole code in
the file.

Btw: Another idea would be to run astyle as special "formatting" user, like
scripty, in one go. This way everybody will see that the code was just
formatted, and not edited.

Bye
urs