KConfigGroup

Stephan Kulow coolo at kde.org
Tue Feb 13 15:16:48 GMT 2007

Am Dienstag, 13. Februar 2007 16:00 schrieb Stephan Kulow:
> David and me ported kdelibs not use setGroup and it was a lot of effort -
> porting the rest of KDE will even be more effort. And it's too much effort
> for me alone - and I don't see a useful way to script port it :)
>
> So I wonder if it's worth it. Any suggestions (how to ease porting)?

(sorry for replying to myself :)

What makes our API odd at places (and what makes it especially hard to port)
is that we pass a KConfig object and you can never know if the group is
already set or if the function will set it for you. And even worse: if it
will touch the group or not.

This should have been done correct from the beginning and I'm afraid that
going now through all KConfig usage I'll do too many mistakes. Of course
there is a possibility to deprecate it all and live with 1000 warnings for
the moment.

Greetings, Stephan