KConfigGroup

Stephan Kulow coolo at kde.org
Tue Feb 13 15:00:44 GMT 2007

Am Freitag, 9. Februar 2007 20:30 schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
> On February 9, 2007, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > Is there any reason to stick with setGroup (being public)?
>
> it's easy and obvious. there's a lot of code where a kconfig object is
> created, the group is set a few times, a few keys are read/written and the
> kconfig object is deleted. setGroup() is pretty natural there.
>
> without setGroup, it would mean creating a number of KConfigGroup objects.
> basically it means a lot of porting effort and a harder to understand API

[...]

> IOW, if we remove KConfig::setGroup() from the public API, we will want to
> make KConfigGroup more convenient to get to and use. which is thankfully
> pretty trivial to do.

Hi!

David and me ported kdelibs not use setGroup and it was a lot of effort -
porting the rest of KDE will even be more effort. And it's too much effort
for me alone - and I don't see a useful way to script port it :)

So I wonder if it's worth it. Any suggestions (how to ease porting)?

Greetings, Stephan