KConfigGroup

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Feb 13 19:15:55 GMT 2007

On February 13, 2007, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 13. Februar 2007 16:00 schrieb Stephan Kulow:
> > David and me ported kdelibs not use setGroup and it was a lot of effort -
> > porting the rest of KDE will even be more effort. And it's too much
> > effort for me alone - and I don't see a useful way to script port it :)
> >
> > So I wonder if it's worth it. Any suggestions (how to ease porting)?
>
> (sorry for replying to myself :)
>
> What makes our API odd at places (and what makes it especially hard to
> port) is that we pass a KConfig object and you can never know if the group
> is already set or if the function will set it for you. And even worse: if
> it will touch the group or not.
>
> This should have been done correct from the beginning and I'm afraid that
> going now through all KConfig usage I'll do too many mistakes. Of course
> there is a possibility to deprecate it all and live with 1000 warnings for
> the moment.

well, it generally works properly in the vast majority of cases, does it not?
and we're not prevented from writing proper code, we are just allowed to
shoot ourselves in the foot. so perhaps we leave it as is with great big
warnings in the documentation and with tutorials on devnew showing the Right
Way To Go. we can slowly rework our own code and make this a goal for KDE5.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se