New KListView - Grouping items

Robert Knight robertknight at gmail.com
Sun Feb 11 17:50:55 GMT 2007

> The goal of all this kind of improvements is to let them be configurable

I would prefer to see more emphasis on "doing the right thing out of
the box", and leave out extensive customizability in the first
iteration of a feature, it can always be added later.

My observations are that a common dialogue between KDE developers goes
like this:

first developer:  When the user does X , Y should happen.
second developer:  When the user does X, Z should happen.
first developer:  Lets make it configurable!
second developer:  OK

And a setting gets added to let the users choose, even though one of
options Y or Z is there for the wrong reasons, or perhaps the choice
of Y or Z can be done by the program itself depending on the context.
Once a setting has been added, it is difficult to remove again.  This
later leads to important settings, those for which large numbers of
users have different preferences on, getting lost in a huge
configuration dialog.  It might also be the case that neither Y nor Z
is ideal, and that there is a slightly better solution W.  If you
really force yourself to try and choose between Y and Z, then option W
is more likely to come up in the discussion.  That solution is less
likely to be imagined if you just add a setting to pick between Y or Z
as a compromise.

In your example you talked about "plugins" for selection drawing.  I
view that as a bad example of excessive configurability, because your
original email speculates about what preferences our users may or may
not have - it isn't based on actual research or feedback from users.

I expect that people with enough experience develop certain heuristics
that they can apply to determine what users are likely to change, but
how many of us ( apart from those who are usability professionals )
have that experience?

Regards,
Robert.