New KListView - Grouping items

Rafael Fernández López ereslibre at gmail.com
Sun Feb 11 16:15:07 GMT 2007

2007/2/11, Robert Knight <robertknight at gmail.com>:

> Hello,
>
> I had an unoriginal idea about a useful new feature, which could be
> implemented as part of the new KListView class.
>
> Something Windows Explorer has had for a long time is the ability to
> group sets of items into various catagories, with a divider drawn
> between each group.
>
> For example, if you sort by size and enable grouping, the items are
> divided into "Large", "Small", "Medium" etc.
> If you sort by type and enable grouping, the items are divided into
> "Image", "Music", "Text" etc.
>
> This particular feature I like very much, although I can think of a
> few improvements to it, such as being able to collapse/expand groups
> and displaying a small amount of summary information - such as file
> count etc. next to the group caption.  As a power user, the ability to
> control the granularity of grouping would be useful - although that is
> very much an "advanced, useful if you have spare time" feature, and
> not perhaps not appropriate for say, Dolphin.

The goal of all this kind of improvements is to let them be configurable. So
we can write it, and then most of users (if it is nice) will have it
enabled, and others that are more nearly to X and terminal will disable it
:P.

Apart from the joke, I find it a very useful way to show information. I
would really like to know if I will be able to commit when I have it
prepared the KListView class, or as I heard somewhere Trolltech wouldn't
like whole class rewritings. I just want to recall KListView inherits
QListView, not QAbstractItemView, so any changes done to QListView will be
visible from KListView, so it is not "another list view class apart from
QListView", it is written on top of QListView, but just gives some more
functionality.

I would like to know what other thinks about your proposal Robert.

Bye and thanks,
Rafael Fernández López.