QtScript

Richard Moore richmoore44 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 22:57:19 GMT 2007

On 2/5/07, Cyrille Berger <cberger at cberger.net> wrote:
> > Sorry for the dumb question... but why do we need kross when we have
> > QtScript?
> If you want to support more than JS.
>
> > This is how kdelibs got so huge over the years: kdelibs provides something
> > that is not available on Qt. But, Qt has a script engine... why does KDE
> > need 2 JavaScript like engines...?
> Because kross is not a javascript like engine ;) but an abstract scripting
> engine which currently can be used with python, ruby and js scripts. (js
> engine is provided by kjs/kjsembed), it's unsure wether QtScript will allow
> to be use with other scripting language than js.

Yes, Kross is just a way of instantiating engines - it's pretty
trivial. The real effort is in bindings etc. which kross leaves to the
engines (including KJSEmbed, QtScript, PyQt, QtRuby etc). Kross is
just a little bit of glue.

A comment not aimed at anyone in particular: I'd really appreciate it
if people did a bit of research and found out what these things do.
Having worked on them for years, the fact that people seem to have no
clue at all is both annoying and depressing.

Rich.