KDE_FULL_SESSION and version detection

Michael Pyne michael.pyne at kdemail.net
Mon Feb 5 04:31:16 GMT 2007

On Sunday 04 February 2007 22:58, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On February 4, 2007, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > c) KDE_SESSION_VERSION
>
> i'm fine with this solution. this means we'll almost certainly want to
> preprocess startkde with cmake to insert the correct version string. i'm
> too tired to do this tonight, but will do so this week.
>
> one final question: should the version have the full version (4.0.0), the
> major/minor (4.0) or just the major (4)

It should have the full version.  You never know when an application will need
to ensure that it's running with 4.2.3 or better, and as long as it's
documented from the beginning as having the full version applications that
start coding against it won't be surprised in the future.

It may be worth it to allow a tag at the end to account for distro-specific
patches (i.e. 4.1.0-gentoo) but that may be overkill.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne