KDE_FULL_SESSION and version detection

David Faure faure at kde.org
Mon Feb 5 20:42:27 GMT 2007

On Monday 05 February 2007, Michael Pyne wrote:
> On Sunday 04 February 2007 22:58, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On February 4, 2007, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > > c) KDE_SESSION_VERSION
> >
> > i'm fine with this solution. this means we'll almost certainly want to
> > preprocess startkde with cmake to insert the correct version string. i'm
> > too tired to do this tonight, but will do so this week.
> >
> > one final question: should the version have the full version (4.0.0), the
> > major/minor (4.0) or just the major (4)
>
> It should have the full version.  You never know when an application will need
> to ensure that it's running with 4.2.3 or better, and as long as it's
> documented from the beginning as having the full version applications that
> start coding against it won't be surprised in the future.
>
> It may be worth it to allow a tag at the end to account for distro-specific
> patches (i.e. 4.1.0-gentoo) but that may be overkill.

I fear abuse of that version string. It will be the version of kdebase/workspace and nothing else
(kdelibs and other parts of kdebase might be from another version since we'll be splitting those).
I don't see which runtime services a distro-specific patch or even a minor release might
be providing compared to the mainstream release. Yeah, never say never, but still...
major/minor seems plenty already. For any other version-checking, kde4-config --version
provides much better information.