3.5.6 'make check' problems... LOTS of them

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Feb 3 00:32:14 GMT 2007

David Faure wrote:
> On Friday 02 February 2007, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>>> Please use ktempdir instead of a hardcoded /tmp location and atexit.
>> Please don't check 'file:/tmp' then? :-)
> I'm checking /tmp, I'm not creating /tmp. Creating is the problem (symlink attack).

Ah. (I forget, does POSIX require /tmp? I guess maybe it does... but
then what does KDE4 do on Windows? ;-))

>>> In trunk I have removed the trash test long ago (moved to kdebase where kio_trash is),
>>> but I'm missing the "not root" test [why would anyone compile as root? that's not recommended...],
>>> I'll add it.
>> Because I am lazy. :-) And because I wanted a system-wide installation,
> The usual way is 'sudo make install'.

Oddly enough, my user cannot sudo. :-) (Since this is, however, my box,
I guess I could fix that...) I can't say I've ever been fond of sudo,
either.

>> I did check that it works for a non-root user, although my non-root user
>> still needs the 0-perm folder because said user can read /root.
> Well the test could use a ::access() call to ensure that the dir isn't readable, I guess.

...which is ironic because that's exactly what determines if a folder is
'folder' or 'folder_locked'. :-)

We know that access() will fail for a 0-perm folder, unless the user is
root, in which case it will succeed regardless of permissions. So I
think checking if you are root is OK for 3.5 (what will 4.0 do? :-)). If
you are root, and therefore access() ignores permissions, you cannot do
the test. Otherwise IMO it is safer to make a 0-perm folder which we
know will be unreadable than to "guess" that the user can't read /root.

>> So did you just say you're gong to clean this up, or that I should? You
>> seem to indicate both.
>
> I fixed trunk, I'm letting 3.5 tests to you.

Ok, that's fine. I just posted a much better attempt, only problem is
the temp folder isn't being nuked for some reason.

--
Matthew
OFFICER throws a tear gas grenade at you. You start to feel nauseous.
 > OPEN WINDOWS
Sorry, I have a philosophical objection to Microsoft products.