meinproc/docbook can't handle paths with spaces ?

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Tue Dec 18 17:05:29 GMT 2007

On Monday 17 December 2007, Daniel Leidert wrote:
> Am Montag, den 17.12.2007, 21:12 +0100 schrieb Alexander Neundorf:
> > currently kdelibs doesn't build if the source dir contains spaces:
> > man-checkXML.1.docbook:4: warning: failed to load external
> > entity "dtd/kdex.dtd"
>
> Is there a file dtd/kdex.dtd in the directory, where
> man-checkXML.1.docbook is located? From your websvn interface I can see,
> there is not. But your Doctype declarations says for the system
> identifier:
>
> "dtd/kdex.dtd"
>
> So you can rewrite the location of kdex.dtd via catalog or if meinproc4
> supports a similar syntax as (or is a frontend to) xsltproc, then give
> the path that contains the DTD via the --path option.
>
> This issue doesn't seem to be related to spaces. However, maybe the
> catalog simply doesn't work if the directory containing the catalog
> contains spaces (I'm not sure from your description). Maybe the space is
> interpreted as a separator. I cannot help here, because I don't know
> meinproc4 nor the KDE build system. But the issue is, that the DTD given
> via system ID is not found.
>
> HTH and regards, Daniel

I don't know much about this stuff.

So, I there is the file /home/alex/src/kde4-svn/KDE\
dir/kdelibs/kdoctools/customization/dtd/kdex.dtd

meinproc is called like this:
../../bin/meinproc4 --stylesheet /home/alex/src/kde4-svn/KDE\
dir/kdelibs/kdoctools/docbook/xsl/manpages/docbook.xsl --check --srcdir=/home/alex/src/kde4-svn/KDE\
dir/kdelibs/kdoctools/ /home/alex/src/kde4-svn/KDE\
dir/kdelibs/doc/kbuildsycoca4/man-kbuildsycoca4.8.docbook

I guess the srcdir parameter should make meinproc find the kdex.dtd file in
this location, but it doesn't. I had a look at that one month ago, what I
remember now is that there is somewhere a string created which uses spaces as
separator, and this tring is parsed somewhere in libxml, and I didn't find
(which doesn't have to mean a lot) support for escaping spaces in that
parsing code.

Any ideas ?

Alex